• Make a comment or complaint about the Council

    • Would you like to say something about East Sussex County Council and the service you have received from us? You might want to let us know about a social worker or youth worker who’s really helped you. Maybe you’d like to share an idea on how to make something better. Or perhaps you want to make a complaint about something that didn’t work for you.

      Support to make your complaint

      You can either make a complaint or comment yourself or ask someone to do it for you. This could be an adult you trust, like a teacher or a social worker.

      You can also talk to the ‘Speak Out!’ advocacy service. Speak Out! helps children and young people in East Sussex who have a Social Worker. They meet with children and young people to find out what they want professionals and other adults to know. They can help you get your views, wishes and feelings heard in meetings like Child Protection Meetings, Reviews for children who are looked after, Family Group Conferences, and more. They also help children and young people with worries or complaints they have about the (care) plans that are made for and about them.

      They don’t work for Social Services / Social Care and are an independent team.

      Please call or text 0300 303 9649 to talk to someone in the Speak Out! Service. They are available to talk from 8am – 8pm Monday to Friday, and 10am – 4pm on Saturdays.

      You can find out more about Speak Out on their website, which also includes information on Independent Visitors (IVs) for children in care to ESCC. 

      Making your complaint

      Stage 1 – Contact us

      Firstly, contact the person you have been dealing with or ask to speak to their manager or the Children's Services Complaints Team. An adult can always do this for you if you prefer.

      You can make your complaint by letter, email, phone or text. When we receive your complaint we will aim to provide a full answer within 10 working days.

      You can fill out the Young Voices Complaints Form (Adobe PDF) or fill out the online form here

      Stage 2 – Making a formal complaint

      If we can’t sort things out and you want to take your complaint further we will arrange for someone to look into your complaint and write a report. This will usually take 25 working days, but sometimes may take longer.

      You need to contact the Children Services Complaints Manager:

      Phone: 01273 482304
      Freephone: 0800 3891132
      Textphone: 07797 878888
      Online: www.eastsussex.gov.uk/CSFeedback

      Stage 3 – Review panel

      If after Stage 2 we still can’t sort things out, we will arrange a Complaints Review Panel. They will not investigate your complaint again but they will hear what you are still unhappy about.

      You need to contact the Children Services Complaints Manager (as above).

      Making a complaint about a school

      If you want to make a complaint about something or someone at your school, the best thing is to talk to a teacher you trust. If you’re not happy with the result, you can then make a complaint directly to the school.

      Find out more on ESCC – Complain about a school.