Follow these top tips to stay safe online.
- If you have an account on Facebook, Bebo or another social networking site, make sure you set your account settings so only your friends can see your wall and your photos.
- Be wary of posting photos of you looking too sexy or doing things you wouldn’t want your mum to see! You might get some unwanted attention.
- On gaming sites, use a made-up name and don’t share any personal details.
- Don't have anyone on your instant messenger contact list who you don’t know in the real world.
- Make sure you keep all your passwords secure and don’t use the same password for all your accounts, especially with online banking.
- Treat people online as you would in the real world, but be aware that they could be pretending to be younger than they are. If someone sends you a dodgy message or starts asking weird questions in a chatroom, just press delete! It’s not worth the risk.
Read more about how to stay safe online at Sorted.
Advice for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual or Transgender young people
The Think U Know website has specific advice for you to keep safe online, including coming out safely on online forums: