• How can I get funding for University or College?

    • Going to university or college may mean that the sources of support you are used to at home will no longer be available.

      However, after age 19 (or 18 if you are not in education), social services should provide you with the support you need and you have the right to ask your local social services department for an assessment of your daily living needs, including any personal care or help you may require.

      All higher education institutions should publish a Disability Statement setting out how they provide support. You can ask to see a copy of this statement.

      Universities and colleges are increasingly aware of the needs of disabled students and students with specific learning difficulties. They can provide support in a number of ways, and you may be able to get extra financial help.....

      Financial support

      There is a wide range of disability-related financial support, including benefits, tax credits, payments, grants and concessions. Find out more at Gov.uk - Financial help if you're disabled.

      The main sources of support for young people are:


      Young people with sensory needs may get help from charities. For example, the Blatchington Court Trust may supply equipment for visually impaired students.

      Help with transport

      If you are 16 or over and live in Sussex, you may be able to hire a motorbike or electric cycle to get you to college, work or training.

      Details are available on the East Sussex wheels 2 work website

      Financial help with home to school transport

      A small number of students with a statement may be provided with a taxi to their local college, or offered Independent Travel Training.

      For more information, check East Sussex County Council's page on Financial help with home to school travel

      There are also opportunities for free or subsidised public transport. Visit the travel pages to find out more.

      Further information

      These pages have been written by the Sensory Needs Service (SNS). We can give advice on most sensory needs issues.

      Contact us

      Email: scsn@eastsussex.gov.uk
      Phone: 01273 481154